Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Phoenix read The Very Hungry Caterpillar today





 



Phoenix is a little over three months old and we read the classic The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carl today. Before we read Phoenix was a little fussy but when I placed the book in front of him and told him it was time to read he calmed down and looked at the cover curiously.

To be honest I don't remember reading this as a kid and I wasn't drawn to Eric Carl books originally but being at the bookstore I saw this book on the table and the colors grabbed me and was inspired to flip through it. I quickly felt intrigued by the story about a caterpillar eating through all different types of foods to finally become a beautiful butterfly. It's a nice book to teach your baby fruits too, and other foods like ice-cream, pickles, Swiss cheese, salami, watermelon and others. I found it cool that at the end of the book the colors of the butterfly reflect the colors of the foods the caterpillar ate, hehe and I like that toward the end of the book he ate something green (a leaf) to ease his stomach ache.

After reading this book I totally became an Eric Carl fan.

Let your baby touch the pages of the book, turn the pages and chew on the book too! Let your baby discover that books are their favorite toy and activity and you're baby will bond even more with bookswhile you are reading together.

Here's a video of Phoenix turning the pages of The Very Hungry Caterpillar today and some photos I snapped after we read when I let Phoenix read through the book again on his own.






 
Also while the book shares all the foods the hungry caterpiller eats and it allows you to count with your child the fruits and foods along the way. Keep your reading session with your baby thematic: You could bring the foods mentioned in the book, or as many as you have in the fridge, out on a plate while you read and let your baby/child look at and smell them or touch them to get his smell and sensory senses grooving.

Here's The Very Hungry Caterpillar on Amazon, I the board book size, perfect for little hands and the diaper bag, find the book also on BN.com here and Indie Bound here. This book set comes with a stuffed caterpillar, which I gave our nephew for Christmas.

Read on!
~Isobella

#phoenixbabybookclub

When we were in Texas over the Christmas holiday I lost Phoenix's library lion stuffed animal and needed something he could play with and chew on during our two week stay, I bought a pengiun at Janie and Jack and also I bought this developmental elephant toy by Eric Carl at the Katy Mills Mall BAM! Books A Million and we both really love it. Phoenix loves grabbing the elephants nose and the rings and the star that hang off it.  Also check out this Very Hungry Caterpillar teether.

No comments:

Post a Comment